The UN Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) is one of the five regional commissions of the UN, and is the regional development arm for the Asia-Pacific region. Established in 1947 with its headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand, UNESCAP is made up of 53 Member States and 9 Associate Members. Its geographical scope stretches from Turkey in the west to the Pacific island nation of Kiribati in the east, and from the Russian Federation in the north to New Zealand in the south. UNESCAP focuses on regional cooperation in areas including macroeconomic policy and development, trade and investment, and transport.
UNESCAP's work related to trade facilitation
In the area of trade facilitation, UNESCAP assists countries to:
- promote the simplification, harmonization and standardization of trade procedures to reduce costs as well as transaction times;
- facilitate trade and investment flows, in particular paperless trade and e-commerce;
- promote the application of the ESCAP trade facilitation framework in the region;
- develop tools and guides for implementation of trade facilitation measures;
- conduct research trade facilitation, including on reducing trade cost, streamlining trade facilitation procedures and trade facilitation and paperless trade implementation.
UNESCAP undertakes capacity development projects, conducts studies, hosts inter-governmental meetings, and provides advisory services for its member states. Together with UNECE,it founded the United Nations Network of Experts for Paperless Trade and Transport in Asia and the Pacific (UNNExT), to build capacity for trade facilitation and paperless trade by taking advantage of the world-class expertise available in the region.
UNESCAP also promotes research on trade facilitation through its Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ArtNet) and provides an open regional platform for dialogue on trade facilitation among regional stakeholders by hosting an annual Asia Pacific Trade Facilitation Forum (APTFF), in partnership with the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Paperless Framework for Agrifood Trade Facilitation
- Trade and Transport Facilitation Monitoring Mechanism (TTFMM)
- ESCAP - World Bank: International Trade Cost Database
- UNNExT: Trade Process Analysis Database
- UNRCs Trade Facilitation and Paperless Trade Implementation Database